Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Throwing Oreos off of Smiths Food King

Shawn Savarese.

This kid was the coolest kid in the world.....or so we thought. His 'cooleness' eclipsed all rational thought. He was also one of those kids that did everything....literally everything and amped up the story so big that he was obviously lying....but we went along with it.

For example:

He played drums and said to us one time "Yeah, I had a bass drum that wasn't working right so I hung it on the wall in my basement and shot it with a shot-gun....stupid thing....."

We believed him.

Looking back I don't know why.

When we were in 7th grade our bikes were our cars. We went everywhere....just because we could. My parents didn't much care where I was as long as I was home before it was dark. (My what a different world we live in now huh.)

Shawn wanted to go over to the local grocery store (Smith's Food King). When we did, he decided it would be fun to go around to the back of the store. Neither Chris or I had ever even thought to do that. We followed and found cases of Oreo cookies that were being thrown away. (Why anyone would throw away Oreos is beyond me.....)

Shawn took a bunch of bags of Oreos and threw them up on the roof and started climbing the drain pipe to get up on the roof. I followed then helped Chris make it up. We were on the top of the building for just a couple of minutes when Shawn opened a bag of Oreos and started throwing them at the people going in and out of the store while hiding behind the big "Smith's" sign.

Chris and I threw a few ourselves then looked at each other and said "Maybe we should leave now...."

Right as Chris and I were finished down the drainpipe, hatches all over the roof started to open with Smith's employees and managers coming after us. Chris and I were already on the ground when we heard them all starting to yell at Shawn and we took our bikes and hid in the hills behind Smiths.

Shawn ran and jumped off the roof to the ground (at least like 16 or more feet up to the roof) and hit the ground running. We all laid low until all the managers and employees left. I thought I was going to have a heart attack from the pounding in my chest. They did come looking for us in the hills but didn't find us. Shawn took off one way and we the other. I don't remember hanging out with Shawn much after that. I think Chris and I clued in that he was full of crap and bad news for us.

No comments: